Acupuncture has been shown in studies to:
• Increase pregnancy rates
• Improve embryo quality
• Lessen unpleasant side-effects of medications
• Reduce the risk of miscarriage
• Reduce stress
Acupuncture provides physical and emotional support for each stage of an IUI, IVF or ICSI cycle. Therefore, it is wise to start your acupuncture treatments as soon as possible, even before knowing the ( IUI, IVF or ICSI ) schedule you will be asked to follow.
We recommend that at the time of embryo transfer, acupuncture treatments are arranged as close as possible either side of the transfer as studies have shown that clinical pregnancy rates can be increased to 42.5%, versus 26.3% without acupuncture.
The following explains in more detail how acupuncture helps:
• During down regulation acupuncture helps relieve side effects like migraine, hot flushes, bloating and mood swings.
• During up regulation/ovarian stimulation treatment helps egg maturation and the thickening of the lining of the uterus.
• Acupuncture can also prevent ovarian hyper-stimulation, which can have serious consequences.
• Prior to egg collection acupuncture helps the woman relax and opens and softens the cervix in preparation for egg collection.
• Post transfer and prior to taking a pregnancy test, acupuncture treatments help the embryo to stay attached to the uterine wall and ensure a good blood supply to the lining.
• Acupuncture can be a good support during IUI, helping thicken the lining of the uterus and enhancing relaxation both prior and post procedure.
• Once the ART treatments are completed, couples can often feel “abandoned” and on their own awaiting a pregnancy test. Acupuncture can help relax the body and mind during this difficult period.
• A 2008 study published in the British Medical Journal (BMJ) has suggested that acupuncture may increase the success rate of implantation and pregnancy by as much as 65%.
To learn more please visit: www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/336/7643/545
Please visit our research link for more information on research on assisted fertility.